If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
|Friday, November 30||TPA Holiday Market and Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony|
|Thursday, December 6||HS Parent Coffee|
|Thursday, December 6||TPA Teacher and Staff Appreciation Panettone|
|Sunday, December 9||All-School Christmas Service|
|Tuesday, December 11||Institutional Update from the Headmaster|
|Friday, December 14||Last day of classes before Winter Holiday|
|Saturday, December 15||Dormitories close at 16:00|
Institutional Update from the Headmaster on December 11
As we head into the holiday season, Headmaster Christopher Nikoloff would like to provide his annual institutional update on the strategic directions and initiatives of the School. Given that TASIS is entering its accreditation cycle, this will be an opportunity to provide updates on, among other topics, the School’s academic, student life, and campus initiatives. Parents will have a chance to provide feedback and ask questions following Mr. Nikoloff’s presentation.
This event will take place in the Palmer Center on Tuesday, December 11. Refreshments will be served at 18:30, and the presentation will begin at 19:00. The presentation will be filmed and shared with all parents afterward.
New Attendance Procedure
Please note that starting next week, the School will be sending out hourly notices about missed classes. If a student is marked absent for a class, parents will be notified on the hour. This is to help ensure that all students are accounted for at regular intervals throughout the day. It is important that parents of day students continue to notify the School of any absences prior to their child missing any classes; they will otherwise receive multiple notices throughout the day.
This is also a final reminder that if a student accumulates 10 or more absences (excused or unexcused) in one semester, the Academic Committee may withhold credit for courses. Please follow these steps to review your child’s current attendance record:
- Log into your Parent Portal and click the "Classes and Reports" link listed under your child’s name.
- When the Student Overview window pops up, click on the link to the current semester provided in the "Attendance" section.
- When the Attendance Detail report pops up, review the number of absences on record, paying closest attention to the third column: “Absent: Total.” It is this number that should not exceed 10 for any semester.
TPA Holiday Market and Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony This Afternoon
All members of the community and their guests are invited to open the holiday season with the TPA on the TASIS campus this afternoon. The TPA Holiday Market will be open from 16:00–18:30, and the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony will begin at 16:30. A valet parking service will be available in the main campus parking lot from 16:00–19:00. Please note that no cars will be allowed into the parking lot until the buses depart at 16:00.
- Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony: Beginning at 16:30, this annual event will be hosted by Mr. Nikoloff with music provided by the TASIS choir.
- Service Learning Program Fundraiser: High School students will be selling crafts, baked goods, holiday treats, and other delicious food at booths on the outdoor basketball court from 15:30–18:30. All proceeds will support TASIS service-learning groups and their partner organizations.
- Winter Village: Beginning at 16:45, Elementary School students will be invited inside the Winter Village in the Palmer Center to enjoy holiday crafts. Admission into the Winter Village is CHF 15 per child.
- Panettone Booth: The TPA will be selling panettone during the Holiday Market, and all proceeds from the sale will go to the Service Learning Program.
- Used Uniform Sale: This sale will be open to all divisions in the Palmer Center lobby.
Christmas Service: Rehearsal and Performance Schedule
This is a reminder that the Christmas Service rehearsal and performance details outlined below only apply to students who have been informed by their music teachers that they will be performing in this year’s service at the church of San Nicolao della Flüe. This item is to serve as a reminder to these students and their families.
Rehearsal Schedule: Wednesday, December 5
There will be a mandatory rehearsal for all students participating in the service at the church of San Nicolao della Flüe on Wednesday, December 5. Please take note of the following details:
- ES Choir students will leave campus at 12:30 and will return to campus by 14:15 in time for their after-school activities and shuttles home.
- MS students (including all first-semester music students and the MS Choir) will leave campus at 12:45 and will return to campus by 14:30 in time for their final class and shuttles home. An alternate schedule for this day will be distributed to students closer to the day of the rehearsal.
- HS choral and instrumental students will leave campus at 12:45. They will continue rehearsing with the orchestra until 16:00 and will return to school by 16:15. HS recreational sports are canceled for that afternoon. HS Day students who wish to return home directly from the church must obtain permission from their parents, who must advise both High School Music Director Ms. Forrest and High School Dean of Students Mr. McKee.
- Buses and chaperones will be coordinated by the relevant division heads and Shuttle Coordinator Svetlana Koreshkova.
Christmas Service Schedule for Performers: Sunday, December 9
|12:30||Students must be in the main TASIS parking lot.|
|12:45||All participants—singers, musicians, and readers—will be taken by bus from TASIS to the San Nicolao Church.|
|13:15–15:00||Final rehearsal in the church|
|16:30||Dismissal for all students except for performers|
|16:30–17:00||Reception in the Reception Hall following the service for parents, friends, and performers|
|17:15||Dismissal from the church (performers return to campus by 17:30)|
Please contact your divisional music teacher with any questions or concerns.
Thank you, and happy holidays!
College Counseling News
Savannah College of Art and Design to Visit on Tuesday
Representatives from Savannah College of Art and Design (Savannah, Atlanta, Hong Kong) will visit TASIS on Tuesday, December 4, at 15:45. 12th-grade and Postgraduate students should register via Naviance if they’d like to attend this meeting. All other students should send an email to email@example.com to register.
Please consult the 2018–2019 Standardized Testing Recommendations and Schedule for more information about standardized tests.
Essay Competition Sponsored by New College of the Humanities
New College of the Humanities London invites 11th-grade students to submit essays by January 31, 2019. Full details, including essay subjects/titles and prizes, can be found at nchlondon.ac.uk/essay. All prize-winners and runners-up, along with a guest, will be invited to a celebratory awards evening hosted by Professor A.C. Grayling and the College's Faculty at New College of the Humanities' home in Bedford Square, London.
IE University Summer Program
IE University, which has campuses in both Madrid and Segovia, Spain, invites students graduating in 2020 or 2021 to apply for a spot in its Summer Program, which will be held July 8–19 this summer. The program is for students interested in improving interpersonal and leadership skills and studying in one of five specialized tracks:
- Architecture & Design
- Business & Entrepreneurship
- Digital Innovation & Technology
- Marketing, Communication & Behavior
- Politics, Law & International Relations
Parent Coffee on December 6
The next High School Parent Coffee will be on Thursday, December 6, from 8:30–9:30 AM in Casa Fleming. This will be a PSAT information session.
TPA Appreciation Panettone on December 6
Any parents who would like to volunteer to help serve panettone at the Teacher and Staff Appreciation Panettone on Thursday, December 6, can sign up by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This event will take place at the following locations and times:
- De Nobili: 9:00–10:00
- Casa Fleming: 14:00–17:00
- Focolare: 14:00–15:30
Movember at TASIS
For the past six Novembers, a group of TASIS men has grown mustaches and created a music video in support of Movember, a global awareness and fundraising campaign designed to address major health issues faced by men.
Enjoy the latest excellent video above, and please visit the TASIS Mo Space if you would like to contribute to the campaign. Thank you for your support!
|Recent Athletics Results|
|November 17||Varsity Girls Soccer • ESC Championships||2nd Place|
|November 17||Varsity Girls Volleyball • ESC Championships||3rd Place|
|Upcoming Athletic Events|
|December 8||Varsity Badminton • Invitational||TASIS Palestra|
|December 8||JV Girls Basketball • Invitational||ICSZ|
|December 10||Varsity Girls Basketball vs . ASMilan
|December 10||Varsity Boys Basketball vs. ASMilan||TASIS Palestra|